This project ended up being a failure, in that I realized that the weight of the legs was just going to be too high for any practical method of driving it, but was a success in that I learned quite a bit.
I am a big fan of modularity, sometimes to a fault, so when I was thinking about making D&D boards the choice was obvious. Unfortunately, These were not particularly well thought out. If you look at the rounded corner pieces below, you will see that they were designed as if the curve was even throughout the wall, which is just silly.
I wanted to do a recursive heart pattern for a valentines day card. I think it turned out fairly well.
I needed to use some connectors, but found the box in disarray and got a little sidetracked. Unfortunately, the next time I needed a connector, the box did not look like this.
When I first joined the invention studio, most of the machines were a bit overwhelming, but I found the laser cutter to be quite user friendly. It could use just about any file, materials for it were cheap, and best of all, as long as you used a little common sense it posed no danger at all. Just watch your part, stop the job if anything goes wrong, and don’t cut anything that gives off toxic gasses.
I decided to make a 3D “puzzle” using mat board, and you can see the result. I was fairly pleased with how it turned out, and although it was largely an artistic rather than engineering endeavor, it got me familiar with the machine and I learned a lot. It wasn’t long before I was one of the go-to guys when someone needed help with the laser.